Tuning pins and soap???

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 01:54:02 -0600

>To Keith McGavern and to whom it may concern<G>
>One reason I would never use soap on a tuning pin to try to tighten it up is
>that soap is basically contaminated glycerin. (mixture of fatty acids, leftover
>sodium or potassium hydroxide, lanolin? and definitely glycerin) The
>glycerin on
>a wood screw absorbs moisture and rusts and gets really sticky in the wood and
>naturally is hard to remove. I have gotten really upset with unthinking
>carpenters that applied soap to wood screws and then ruined the very reason for
>using screws in the first place. I think we all have dealt with rusted
>screws in
>pianos and swore up and down at the mess caused by said rusted screws.
>Question comes down to, why bother to remove the tuning pin if we already have
>glycerin based tuning pin dope that will do the job easier and with less chance
>of contaminating an already contaminated or hopeless block?
>I hope you understand I am not criticizing you in the least! I think the
>research is good to do but some research is unnecessary if we already know the
>ingredients. NWIM?
>David Lamoreaux, RPT
>Wash. DC Chapter PTG

Geez David,
If you are going to point someone out on an issue, please point in the
correct direction.  You've got the wrong guy on this soap deal.  I am not
the one who brought this matter up, nor am I encouraging the use of said
product in the manner brought forth on Pianotech.

By the way, these letters     *NWIM*      were at the end of your post.
What do they represent, please?

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Baptist University