Tuning pins and soap???

MR STEPHEN R HAASCH WLLJ40A@prodigy.com
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 23:55:58 -0500 (EST)

        This is purely an experimental idea.  I do not have the means to
test it so I throw it out to you.  Someone may have the means.
        I was tuning a piano. A fellow and I were talking about loose
tuning pins.  He said, "Why don't you take the pin out and rub it on a bar
of soap real good and reinsert it into the pinblock?"  He said that the
carpenter uses this method with screws and that at first the soap will
lubricate the insertion of the screw into the wood.  Then after a period of
time the soap changes in character as it dries and acts as a lock tight and
prevents the screw from backing out on it's own.  It increases the friction
it takes to remove the screw.  Try this on your test piano!

Is this far fetched?  Probably.
Will it work?  Only one of you guys with the ability to experiment would be
able to tell me.  I think that it is worthy of investigation.

Does anyone know the answer?

Steve Haasch