commercial HCS

Daniel Dover Daniel.Dover@Dartmouth.EDU
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 14:46:10 -0500 (EST)

I work for a relatively small Music Dept and Performing Arts Center (at
Dartmouth College) in rural New Hampshire.  There is no humidity control in the
building (so what else is new, right?)

Recently a proposal was approved and funded to enlarge an existing teaching
studio and also install climate control, and make that room home for our one
S&S 'D', along with another 'B' and possibly a harpsichord.

This is great news, because there has never been a suitable space to store the
'D' when not on stage-- no room to build a closet or box, and there never will
be because of the building's architecture.  Having a suitable  home for the 'D'
also makes it possible to go ahead with plans to replace the instrument,
something unthinkable until there was adequate storage with climate control.

I will also be installing a DC humidity control system in the new instrument.
My questions have to do with cost and type of system being proposed for the
enlarged room, which will be approx 18'x20'.  I have no background in this
stuff and would like some feedback from anybody out there who has gone through
a similar installation.

The equipment being recommended is a Nortec humidifier and a Mitzubishi air
conditioner.  Costs will be $7G for the equipment and about $7G for site work
and wiring.  As I said, the money has been approved, but just the same, that's
a whole lot of clams.

Any comments?

Danny Dover, RPT
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH