Protek MPL-1 versus VJ-lube

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Sun, 11 Feb 1996 12:18:59 -0500

Jim Harvey writes:

I'd like to extend the Protek discussion with questions. Specifically:

- are MPL-1 and 'VJ' lube interchangeable in various usages?
- at what times is MPL-1 used instead of 'VJ' lube?
- at what times is VJ lube superior to MPL-1, if ever?

Jim,
I'm not sure that I have many firm opinions about the above questions, only
an observation or two.

I remember that when I first ordered the MPL from Pianotek a long time ago
the stuff was packaged in film canister type tubs and the lube was a very
firm concoction that resembled the many,many batches of VJ lube that I cooked
up on the kitchen stove. Later orders brought the new packing (little white
tubs with a hinged top) and an obviously different formulation of the lube.

The present MPL-1 *LOOKS *like vaseline and has the same consistancy.

It does the jobs that are asked of it well but I tend to wish that it was
 heavier in texture like the old VJ lube, and a bit less messy.

I've thought of melting the MPL down to a liquid and adding enough talc to
firm it up but I've never gotten around to it. Has anyone else tried that?
How were the results?

I use MPL-1 anywhere that I ever used VJ lube, and consider them
interchangable.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com