Accu-Tuner problems

k.swafford@genie.com k.swafford@genie.com
Sun, 11 Feb 1996 03:47:00 +0000 (UTC)

     It _can_ be difficult to read some notes with the SAT.  These
difficulties can occur almost anywhere in the scale.

--Some pianos have notes in the low bass that read poorly.

--F#5 through B5 can read poorly (at the 2nd partial) in FAC tunings
in comparison with the old stretch mode where F#5-B5 read at the 1st
partial.

--The worst problems I have had getting a note to read have been while
trying to get a reading on some pianos for note F3 at the F6 level
(8th partial) which is necessary for getting a stretch number reading
for the "F" in FAC.

     As has been noted, the first thing to try when there is
difficulty getting a note to read is to move the SAT.  A small move of
only about half the width of the SAT itself is usually sufficient if
the SAT's mic is in a node.

     However, there is a certain ebb and flow in the strength
(relative amplitudes) of the partials as a piano note sounds over
time.  Therefore, if you let a note sound long enough (maybe several
seconds), there is likely to be a time in there somewhere where the
partial the SAT is trying to read will be strong enough to generate a
reading.  True, the reading may be fleeting, but I always seem to be
able to read every note if I am patient.

     It has been several years since the SAT was updated with any
improvements.  The SAT is not the perfect electronic tuning device.
One could write many posts over many days to describe the perfect
electronic tuning device.

--For example, why couldn't the pages of memory "wrap"?  Wouldn't it
be neat if NOTE UP from C8 would bring you to A0?

--Wouldn't it be useful to be able to program the MEMORY MODE to step
through the notes of the piano in the order of your favorite
temperament sequence, instead of limiting you to the ascending or
descending chromatic scale?  This would greatly facilitate the
integration of aural and visual tuning techniques.

     I could go on, but you get the idea.

                                             Kent Swafford