Tuning Frequency

Tcoates@aol.com Tcoates@aol.com
Sat, 10 Feb 1996 08:59:14 -0500

Bill Ballard wrote:
<<As for me, what is more relevant is the tuning frequency for a small music
dept, whose service is not done by a tech on staff but rather contracted out.
 I'm sure monthly tunings are much more the rule at large music depts with
their own staff techs.>>

I service 3 small music departments.  Service is based on use by the school.

One school is very small and doesn't grant a degree.  Their tunings are based
on climate change and performance time.  Usually,  one to two rounds of
tunings per year for all pianos.  Depends if they can stand the out of
tuneness during the winter.  Otherwise, they want to wait until the climate
changes back and the pianos come back into tune in the spring.  If you don't
grant a music degree I guess you can get away with more, huh?

For my degree granting schools I loosely follow this schedule.  Practice
rooms:  tuned (A440) once a semester (half at the beginning, half in the
middle assures at least half are in tune during the semester)  Class and
teaching:  all tuned beginning and middle semester  (piano & vocal areas
additional tunings as  as needed).  Perfomance:  as needed (sometimes twice a
week).  Minor repairs are done as needed.  Major repairs and rebuilding are
done with approval from administration (don't come out of my budget).

Tim Coates
University of South Dakota
University of Sioux Falls
Dakota Wesleyan University