Tuning Frequency

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Fri, 09 Feb 1996 18:46:20 -0500

>My thanks to those who replied with the number of tunings which their
>practice room and teaching studio pianos get per year. What I thought might
>happen is that you'd all chime in, the way you introduce yourselves at a
CAUT
>meeting: name, college/university, and the annual Relative Humidity swing at
>your place. We would all be interested in as wide a survey as possible.

Dear Bill,
Elizabeth Ward
Midwestern State University
August, 1995= 69% RH 70 degrees F
February 1996= 22% RH 77 degrees F
Pitch change= 40 cents

This is our worst case at present- a 70's vintage Kimball studio in a lecture
class room that we call "Piano Hell 101". Faculty claims that the winter
temps run in the mid 90's but I haven't recorded anything above 85F. The
choir room is worse but we managed to get a climate control unit on that
piano(Steinway D). The teaching pianos are done twice a year.The practice
rooms are seen once a year. We just try to work within their budget. Our
experience at Vernon Regional Junior College is similar but we were able to
get climate control units on most of their pianos (Baldwin Hamiltons) some
years back. As a result, the pianos hold better but now we don't tune them as
often. The music teacher will not call until the pianos reach a certain level
and it just takes longer for the tunings to get that bad.

Elizabeth Ward
Registered Piano Technician
Ward & Probst, Inc.
Piano & Organ Service