No subject

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Thu, 08 Feb 1996 23:56:07 -0500

were talking, 2/7/96:
>In order for David to have developed the problem he described >with his let
off >rails, he had to significantly decrease >accerlation. This happened when
the >capstans were moved in.

>Dennis Johnson

<<Your wrong here Dennis.  The problem is in the stack configuration.  It
does not have to do with the capstan placement.  For instance, if you would
push the heel of the wippen up with your finger the letoff problem will still
occur, not matter where on the bottom of the wippen you push on.

David C. Stanwood>>

Which makes me think of the M&H A LO rail which I had to move upwards by
3/16". But that was my fault. I ordered Renner's universal rep instead of the
M&H rep, thinking that if I had to move the rep heel anyway, better to start
with a rep body minus a heel. *Not* The universal rep's tender-fly angle on
the jack was noticeably smaller than either the Renner M&H or the original
WN&G reps (which were identical)
. I had three choices: glue the LO button felt directly to the LO screw (&
toss out the wood button), regulate for a 3/8" LO, or raise the LO rail.
Maybe by the next time this situation ceoms up Renner USA will be offering
universal reps in Steinway and M&H styl bodies.

Dennis,
What determines the location of a properly adjusted LO button is solely the
position of the tender as it sits in the rep body, when the rep has lifted
the hammer up to 1/16" from the string. How far the tender has to travel from
its start at rest to this spot (where presumably you've put an LO button),
may be a function of the overall leverage (which determines how much keydip
you need for the given hammer blow). The respective leverages of the key and
rep may also determine how much of a gap the tender has to close between its
rest position and LO button, for the amount of dip determined above. But
where the escapement starts really is a function of where the knuckle (and
the partner fly) sits when the hammer is 1/16" from strike, and what the
jack's leverage and angle are.

The key and rep leverages (with the jack leverage) might figure into the
amount of dip necessary for the jack to trip out, and they  will figure into
how far the tender has to travel to reach the LO button. But how far or how
fast the tender has to travel has little to do with where the LO button wants
to be located.

(Golly, what am I going to do with all these split hairs. make an afghan with
them?)

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, PTG

"There are fifty ways to screw up on this job. If you can think of twenty of
them, you're a genius......and you aint no genius"
Mickey Rourke to William Hurt, in "Body Heat", discussing arson.