piano in storage

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Wed, 07 Feb 1996 12:54:45 -0500

Wim,

The question you need to answer first is what is the temp and humidity level
in your shop, and, more importantly, what will it be in the pianos final
destination.

After three years in an unheated environment I would be awfully afraid of
what the SB ( an 86 year old one to boot) will do. You sure don't want that
bad boy to open up the first winter it is back in the customers home..

After you get it in your shop, I would dry it down as though it needed
shimming,e.i. heaters under the board(convection heaters or lots of
dampchasers) with the piano covered with blankets to the floor. If it is
going to crack,ribs seperate,etc....watch those bridge caps too, you want it
to happen in the shop while it is unstrung and the plate is out.
Moniter it daily looking for problems. A week or more might be needed.THEN
recheck the crown.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com