smooth strike ratios

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed, 07 Feb 1996 10:40:07 -0600

At  4:31 AM 2/7/96 -0700, David Porritt wrote:
>This is discussed in the book "Piano Key & Wippen" and it sounds to me
>like there could be some advantages in not having the balance rail pins
>ofset.  Just theoretical guessing.....

_________

That is correct. Pfeiffer credits L. Chwatal with the suggestion to
impliment this older idea on modern pianos in 1905. He says, "..these
advantages are present; in spite of this..... it is unlikely that this
system will ever be universally adopted, since the need is not of a
sufficiently general and pressing nature."  Does that situation strike a
painful chord inside you unequal tuners our there?  Anyway, I think it is a
good idea which is simplier, if not better, and deserves more serious
consideration than it has received.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College
johnsond@stolaf.edu