Mason & Hamlin

PIANOBIZ@aol.com PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Tue, 06 Feb 1996 21:44:05 -0500

>David C. Stanwood
>
>P.S.- Peter Mohr told me that there were only 12 of these 9' 4 1/2" CC
>instruments  made.  Has anyone out there seen any of the other 12?  This is
>a gorgeous piano!  I've also heard very negative opinions about early CC
>models but I don't know if the comments were directed to this particular
>size and scale.>

Hi David

In my conversation today with Bill Koenigsberg (Concord, MA) a collector and
devotee of ampico Masons, he recollects looking at the actual factory
delivery records of the serial numbers and he can recall there being around
150 CC's made.

This model 1902 "CC" probably didn't have the tension resonator, (introduced
in 1905) which may mean this piano  was a predecessor to the CC, possibly a
C?  Your figure of  9' 4 1/2" could also indicate an earlier version, as the
final size for the CC ended up around 9' or 9'1" I believe. How did you
identify this as a CC?  Did you actually see it originally written on the
plate as a CC?

I know Steinway did something similar with their model B/C.  For example, I
have a 7' 2" what we have called a transition C (1881), for lack of a better
label, and the final C ended up being 7' 6".

Just Curious,
David Sanderson
Littleton, MA
Pianobiz@aol.com