Steinway pedal fix

AKarab@aol.com AKarab@aol.com
Tue, 06 Feb 1996 17:55:05 -0500

Keith wrote:

I believe he makes the hole larger where the brass rod travels through,
creates a pilot hole in the underlever lift rail and in the wood lever
where the brass rod contacts, and makes a wood dowel with a fluted pedal
pin and punching at each end.  This thereby ends all contact with the area
that you say is causing the troublesome squeak.

Maybe somebody here on the list has seen this fix in the PT Journal, or can
also confirm what I am recalling.

I write,
Yes I recently saw Scott Jones at a 1 day seminar in Seattle, and he
described this job in detail.  The hole through the keybed needs to be large
enough that there is no contact at all with the dowell, (in any position of
the pedal) therefore it does not need to be bushed.  The reason the squeak
always comes back no matter how else you fix it is that the arcs that the
trapwork and damper tray (at either end of the brass rod) move each end of
the rod in opposite directions fore and aft, mucho friction.

Audrey Karabinus,   Seattle