hammer butt springs

Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Tue, 06 Feb 1996 09:34:08 -0500 (EST)

     Bob, this comes under judgement calls. Thoughts...

     * "Soon" is a relative term. Consider, in years, how long the
     current springs have lasted without causing a problem to the
     loops.

     * I didn't understand whether the 'swamp cooler' meant part of
     the Dampp-Chaser installation or the room type. Regardless, has
     anything *other* than the recommended bacteriostat agent been
     used? If so, it could accelerate the corrosive effects on the
     brass wire. (For argument, we could include the room swamp cooler
     in this area of discussion).

     * I've seen a couple cases, and heard of others, where
     (presumably) salt or other mineral matter got into a piano. As
     long as the "matter" was dry -- no problem. Once it became
     moistened, problems resulted. San Berdoo, being a desert area, is
     essentially a sand-based environment. As such, there is lots of
     mineral matter around, and probably in the water as well. Think
     about what happens in a swamp cooler. As the water is dispersed,
     it takes particulates of mineral matter with it. These then
     settle in the form of dust on any and everything. Hey, I'm
     guessing here!

     * After the detective chores are finished, check one or two
     springs for corrosion. This will tell you whether the "sawing"
     phenomenon is correct or not. Clean these sample springs with a
     brass cleaner/other, depending on what is required to remove any
     pitting. Depending on how much metal you have remaining after
     cleaning will help make the decision on replacement. *Either*
     way, I'd plan on cleaning all the springs before repairing or
     replacing the spring loops.

     Good luck.

     Jim Harvey RPT