smooth strike ratios

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Tue, 06 Feb 1996 09:16:05 -0600

Sorry to have so many questions lately, but I have been reviewing some
early keyboard designs with the balance pins not offset as we see today.
Is it not true that actual strike ratio (as felt by the finger) is
dependent on where the finger plays that key. Our current design allows for
uniform (or nearly uniform) dip and strike ratios between sharps and
naturals at the end of the keys, but this is not how keyboards are played.
At the line roughly in front of the sharps dip is shallower and strike
ratio higher on the naturals.  If the balance pins were in line that would
certainly simplify geometry at the capstan/heel alignment, but we would
have significantly less dip at the end of the sharps than at the ends of
the naturals - which means the sharps could sit lower.

Is truely uniform strike ratio an illusion to the player?

....rambling again.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College
johnsond@stolaf.edu