Mason & Hamlin

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Tue, 06 Feb 1996 05:29:33 -0500

David Stanwood:
>>Last weekend I completed a 1902 Mason & Hamlin CC (9' 4 1/2")action with new
>>Renner parts.  .........

Dennis Johnson:
>Can you or someone else explain to me why the Renner M&H replacement shanks
>are of the "European" style, with full leverage and big knuckles?

Ask Lloyd at Renner USA

>Your key ratio modifications to this 1902 M&H imply that it originally had
low >leverage shanks as well.

Or lighter hammers.
Or it had a heavy feeling action.
I don't know what it was origionally but I sure like it now.

The Renner USA parts are a close match, dimensionally, with the originals,
however I've consistently had problems being able to turn the letoff high
enough without the buttons coming up against the letoff rail.  My previous
M&H job using Renner USA parts required moving the letoff rail up about
3/16".  I would rather have not had to do this! (that was a 7' screwstringer).

I had the same problem with this latest M&H but not so extreme.  I squeaked
by with going to a slightly thinner button and cloth.

If the knuckle is smaller diameter wouldn't that make this problem worse?

David C. Stanwood

P.S.- Peter Mohr told me that there were only 12 of these 9' 4 1/2" CC
instruments  made.  Has anyone out there seen any of the other 12?  This is
a gorgeous piano!  I've also heard very negative opinions about early CC
models but I don't know if the comments were directed to this particular
size and scale.