Accu-Tweaker anomoly

Dennis Johnson djohn@skypoint.com
Sun, 04 Feb 1996 13:17:48 -0600

>     I've noticed that the LED's on my Accu-Tuner are reluctant to
>     "light up" on a certain note. I'm not talking about the
>     rotational pattern; rather, the lights don't come on at all.
>     Except for the note/octave LCD display, you'd think the machine
>     had been turned off!

___________

Jim,

Ron's explanation is correct IMO as well. I have gotten around this problem
in part by using my own recorded aural tunings which I record in the way we
do for exams, by reading the fundamental starting at C5. The FAC program
reads the 6th octave through the midrange, and fundamental starting at C6.
This is my one criticism of the FAC, technically it is more accurate
reading from an octave higher, but if the reading is poor that becomes a
moot point.

Perhaps it is not possible to calculate the FAC at the 6th octave but
display it at the 5th octave throughout this range.  You probably have
noticed that the readings are somewhat better on fine pianos.
Interestingly, I have noticed that the machine seems to get the clearest
readings from right in front sitting on the stretcher, not far at all from
where our human microphones are positioned.

If these explanations don't make sense, give them a call.

Dennis Johnson
djohn@skypont.com