Yamaha flanges (was hammer butt springs)

David Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Sun, 04 Feb 1996 09:23:59 -0600 (CST)

Jim:

I do (in addition to the work at SMU) all the pianos for the Plano
Independant School District (140 pianos in the district).  I have done
this since 1980.  You kind of have to go with the leadership you get.
Here they take the view that a school piano (particularly in secondary
schools) has a life of 15 years.  At that point you replace it.  In view
of that, I have done the work that needs to be done to keep the piano
alive for 15 years and nothing more.  Occaisionally butt flanges need to
be replaced action parts repinned etc.  But if I see in my inventory that
a piano that is starting to fade is 14 years old, I simply recommend it's
replacement.  At the end of each school year I write up a summary of the
condition of the inventory and make my recommendation on replacement.
Last Summer they bought 15 new P22s.

At SMU I take a much different tack.  Fortunately I've been there since
most of our pianos have been purchased so I can maintain them as needed
to keep them probably 30 years.  I really think we can make them last
that long in spite of the abuse school pianos get.

I basically have to take the approach that fits with the management.

Dave Porritt
SMU - Dallas