Harpsichord strings

Dave Doremus dbd01@www.gnofn.org
Sun, 04 Feb 1996 11:20:10 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 3 Feb 1996 DBHersh@aol.com wrote:

> this is a Nuepert Rameau Model. Would you really call one or two drops of pin
> tightener doping? An earlier response to this subject cautioned about any
> chemical coming into contact with the iron pins but these look like steel to
> me. the instrument is only about 30 years old. This instrument is in an
> institutional enviorment. Do any of you know a good source for Harpsicord
> wire and or parts.

I would call any chemical put in a harpsichord pin block doping. The
block is a integral part of the case and cannot be replaced. Shimming,
preferably with acid free, rag paper is much better. Neupert should still
be in business, I dont have the adress. Try the Instrument Workshop at
IWCembalo@aol.com for wire and parts. Does the instrument have leather or
delrin quills? brass or wound bass strings? It's probably not a great or
historically informed instrument, if you want a good concert harpsichord
you should check in to getting a better one. Any questions feel free to
e-mail me directly or check out the HPSCD-L.

Good luck,

Dave Doremus, RPT
dbd01@www.gnofn.org
New Orleans

Music came first; then the scales...; then...the theorists to explain them.
And as they knew more of mathematics than of musical history they laid down
laws which, in actual fact, no human being had ever obeyed.    (Percy Buck)