Petrof and Samick quality

lessmith@buffnet7.buffnet.net lessmith@buffnet7.buffnet.net
Sun, 04 Feb 1996 00:13:57 -0500 (EST)

>  By no stretch of imagination are these
> >instruments for serious advanced students or professional pianists. To be
> >blunt their tone-quality is absolutely terrible and no amount of voicing
> >or tone-regulating work can do much to improve it.
>
> Les,
>
> I understand that Samick is coming out with a new "world piano."  Apparently
> they were on display at the NAAM Show.   Did any of the subscribers get to
> see them?   They are supposed to have solid spruce soundboards, Kluge keys
> and Renner actions.    I believe that they just have 7 and 9 ft. models at
> this time.
>

> Chris Gregg.

Hi, Chris. No, I haven't seen them. It sounds like a step in the right
direction, especially if those Renner actions include Renner hammers. The
solid spruce soundboards should help somewhat, but their tone-quality prob-
lems go deeper than that. For example, are they still going to use multi-
laminated bridges? And what about the woods going into the cases? I'll
give you an idea of what I mean. Years ago I was restoring a large, old
Chickering grand (circa 1885) that represented that firm's work at it's
very best. All the strings were individually tied, except for the highest
treble, and I started restringing with the lowest tenor string, which was
wound. After installing the one string, I put tension on it and plucked it
with my finger. Instantly the entire piano sprang to life and the tone of
that one string waxed and waned and lasted like a cello being bowed. When
I went over to the long side of the case and lightly rested my fingers on
it, I could feel the entire case vibrating from just that one string! Even
though that was 20-25 years ago, I can still remember the feeling of awe
I experienced as I listened to that piano sing. It was my first introduction
to a truly great piano. Try this test. The next time you see a Samick, have
someone play a 7-8 note chord and hold it down. Now lightly rest your fin-
gers on the long side of the case. What do you feel? Nothing, nada, zip.
The truth is that junk woods don't sing.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net