Freezing!

Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Sat, 03 Feb 1996 19:17:55 -0500 (EST)

     Re: Titebond/other materials

     This is an *old* discussion from a Q&A session at a Los Angeles
     chapter meeting.

     The discussion began when it was determined that several chapter
     members had recently purchased Titebond, supposedly "fresh", from
     Pacific Piano Supply. The glue was unusable, taking the form of a
     stringy, gooey mess.

     Investigation by Pacific Piano determined that this shipment had
     been delayed, having sat in a box car in snowdrifts during a
     midwestern storm. [This was new information for us, since
     southern Californian's don't normally concern themselves about
     things freezing.]

     One of our members later found out (presumably from Franklin
     International) that Titebond will go through twelve (12)
     freeze/thaw cycles before it rolls over and becomes unusable.
     I've always thought that 12 cycles sounded too convenient, and
     would really like to confirm this [Anyone around Columbus, OH
     that could call?]. Either way, although this is interesting, most
     techs don't count the number of times our car goodies drop below
     the freezing mark, so having a "count" wouldn't necessarily help
     anything.

     Change gears ---

     Like Laura and others, for a long time I have kept glues and
     other potential freezables in a cooler. Mine is one of the
     soft-side lunch coolers with a shoulder strap. Unfortunately,
     with my California mentality, I have not been transporting same
     inside at the end of the day. These threads have provided me
     cause to investigate my existing stock and take appropriate
     action, *especially* considering the way we've been hit in the
     South this winter.

     Change gears ---

     Only yesterday in an unrelated conversation, I was told that
     lacquer -- which I thought had a shelf life of forever -- would
     roll over if allowed to freeze. Margin of error: it was unclear
     whether this was *just* lacquer, or whether the spray can variety
     (Mohawk, etc.)

     More fodder for the mill.

     Jim Harvey/RPT