hammer butt springs

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Sat, 03 Feb 1996 12:48:06 -0500

>Keith,

>I have done this repair both ways and (trust me on this one), >it's faster
to replace the old flanges with new ones. Yamaha >parts are manufactured to
such close tolerances (snip)

>Tom Seay
>t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
>The University of Texas at Austin

I definitely have to go with Tom here. We have many Yamaha U1D's and U1J's at
Marshall. Years ago, when the budget was fat and the price of the flanges was
cheap I bought a dozen sets. It is SO much faster to replace the flange when
a broken loop or woobly flange is encountered.
I save the replaced flanges for another day( ususally these frigid winter
evenings when the TV is as mind numbing as the cold) and rebush,pin and
re-loop them, recycling so to speak.
(It is a good job to give bored kids,too).The supply is self- perpetuating.
Tom is right. The tolerances are so good that I rarely need to travel.

BTW, keeping the small screws on the back side of the butt/plate snugged down
will minimize the "walking" of center pins. Also, I use 30 pound braided
casting line (fishing) for the loops(monofiliment won't do) and glue them to
the flange with a dot of medium visc. CA glue spritzed with accelerator.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com