Re Steinway Pitman

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Sat, 03 Feb 1996 10:29:34 -0400

                      Subject:                              Time:  10:17 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         Re Steinway Pitman                    Date:  2/3/96

Steinway now uses a system where the pitman fits into "felt carpeted",
recessed holes in the damper tray and sustain pedal trapwork. The hole through
the keybed is larger than the pitman and guides it in no way. The advantage to
this system -- and Steinway suggests switching to it if possible -- is that
the pitman cannot "skate" across the leather bearing on the damper tray and
trapwork. It renders this area of the piano virtually squeak free. At Oberlin,
we have converted all our Steinways over to a similar system to prevent
skating. It works no better than the current Steinway system, but is easy to
install as a retrofit. We mount  guide pins at the ends of the pitman that fit
into holes we drill into the trapwork and damper tray. The bushed hole through
the keybed for the pitman is enlarged so that it no longer guides the pitman.
The system was suggested to me by my predecessor, Jim Moon, and it ranks as
one of those miracle cures for squeaky sustain pedals.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory