Pin Dope AND Hot Stuff AND Dampp-Chasers

Dave Doremus dbd01@www.gnofn.org
Fri, 02 Feb 1996 23:23:11 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 31 Jan 1996 DBHersh@aol.com wrote:

>    I got this tip from Mr. Kasimoff in Los Angeles. When changing the string
> on a harpsicord that has alot of winding on the tuning pin it is better to
> take the pin out, wrap the string around it, put a couple of drops of pin
> tightner in the hole and reinstall the pin.

Always remove the pin when changing a harpsichord string. Do NOT apply dope!
Unless it's a Sperrhake. Antique (smooth) and tapered pins can be
reinstalled a little deeper and be plenty tight. Even the threaded
"zither" pins only need a small shim of good rag paper to hold nicely.
Anyone who dopes a Dowd or Phillips or Herz or...etc deserves all the bad
karma that will inevitably follw.

Dave Doremus
dbd01@www.gnofn.org
New Orleans

Music came first; then the scales...; then...the theorists to explain them.
And as they knew more of mathematics than of musical history they laid down
laws which, in actual fact, no human being had ever obeyed.    (Percy Buck)