geometry/friction

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Thu, 01 Feb 1996 20:01:43 -0600

>David,
>   I would like to know how you do this.
>
>RE: I did not need to dry lube the knuckles.  I prefer not to because it wears
>off with time.  The system can always be made to work without dry lubing the
>knuckles.
>
>   Are you saying that moving the capstan line also solved the squeaking
>knuckle problem? If so, what if the capstan line doesn't need to be moved?
>   I would appreciate any advice about solving that perennial problem. I have
>a lot of it, especially on our concert instruments.

Avery,
Spurlock Specialty Tools has a product called Micro-Fine Teflon Powder that
I have been field testing for about a year on knuckles and wippen cushions.
So far, the results are excellent on the knuckle squeaking problem that
occurs on certain pianos.  Also reduces that excess friction drag that
shows up every now and then.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Oklahoma Baptist University