Petrof and Samick quality

TUNERJIM@aol.com TUNERJIM@aol.com
Thu, 01 Feb 1996 19:58:22 -0500

Y'all:

     First of all,  I am prejudiced.  (1) The college where I both service a
large
number of pianos and also supervise two tuners who work for my company,
recently
purchased a number of American-made grand pianos for their teaching and
practice studios. A highly opinionated, very vocal, and politically correct
piano
teacher refused to check out available makes and upon finding out that the
budget would not support  S&S opted for another American brand.  In due time
the other
pianos arrived and they turned out to be thoroiughly shoddy in material and
workmanship. The action flanges feeland act more;like soft pine than hard
maple..
(Of course I may be mistaken, maybe the wood is mesquite.) At any rate
nothing
stays where you put it.  I am increasing fees because of  the extra service
required.
(2) I put in a lower bid to supply pianos for the college, but the PC
teaacher held sway and forced through the croppy pianos.  My lower bid was
for Samicks.  My exper
ience with this product over the last five years has been uniformly
excellent. I read
on this forum lukewarm comments about Samicks and I wonder what some people
are
seeing that I am not.  Believe me, I can and do  sell many other makes, but I
know of no
other make that offers such good value for the money.  And I will be happy to
discuss the merits of vacuum-forged plates, surface-tension soundboards, and
delignite pinblocks  --  even with such world-reknowned authorities as the
highly
respected Larry Fine1

OK, everybody with 2 cents worth of comment, chime in!

Jim DeRocher,MMPTA, RPT, PhD,PSO
aka TunerJim