Petrof and Samick quality

C. Mike Swendsen swendsec@cadvision.com
Thu, 01 Feb 1996 14:41:56 -0700

At 09:48 AM 2/1/96 -0700, you wrote:
>   An older student here has asked me about the Petrof & Samick pianos.

Interesting choice of Instruments to chose from.  I used to deal in both of
those pianos about 4 years ago.  The Samick grands in my opinion were O.K.
but they didn't seem to stand up to much use or the dryness in our climate
even if an entire damp-chaser unit was installed.  I did have one SG185 that
was custome ordered for a professional pianist with a 45 gm. action weight
that has been in use for about 10 or 12 years that is standing up nicely,
and the action was very nice, but it was made the year that they were using
Renner action parts.

Petrof on the other hand.  When I was dealing in them I loved them even
though I used to have to take 3 days to get them up to snuff.  Now though,
they seem to be coming from the factory in very good condition. I also
service some 30 to 40 years old grands in churches and some in homes and I
love them.  The tone is very clear and warm at the same time.  They tune
nicely and seem to hold very well, again in our climate I prefer to see a
damp-chaser in them.  They regulate nicely and play beautifully.  I have
some very particular pianist who use them and they wouldn't use anything
else if they had their choice.  And they mean anything!

Mike Swendsen
Calgary, Alberta