guide rails

Horace Greeley horace@compadept.com
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 21:20:05 -0800

At 05:16 PM 1/31/96 -0700, you wrote:
2>Bob,
>You are right, rebushing the sticker rail in your Acrosonic is a
>straightforeward job, exactly like rebushing the damper guide rail in a
>grand. The toughest part is ripping the felt strips to *just* the right
>width. You should have both edges ripped(read fuzzy) as the torn edges will
>tend to  weave together. You should also try to match the thickness of the
>original felt.
>
>Take your long strip(with a point cut in one end) and insert from the bottom
>of the rail. Drag it through and just before the strip goes out the other
>side put a small drop of glue and drag it in the hole. (Hide glue is
>good,white or yellow too.)  Trim flush on top with a razor blade.
>
>I use a round toothpick to press the new cloth lightly in place until the
>glue sets. A small nail or anything the same diameter as the sticker pins
>will do.
>
>Sizing... After you reinstall the stickers back in the rail( this is the
>*really* tough part, hitting 88 holes with 88 moving stickers) I put a small
>drop of Proteck on each bushing. Works great.
>
>The fit need not be snug.
>
>Paul Dempsey
>Marshall University
>wippen@aol.com

ALL,

I'd like to add a suggestion re: a tool that Susan Graham used to use for
this kind of work - a specially turned piece of all thread of the right
diameter for a 25 watts soldering iron.  I have several diameters for
different jobs, have used them for years, and feel that they have saved me
countless hours of working with less efficient and effective means of sizing
bushings.

Best!

Horace

Horace Greeley, RPT                       14 Pyxie Lane
Piano Technician & Consultant             San Carlos, CA 94070-1506
The Colburn School of Performing Arts           415.592.6620
Los Angeles, CA                           horace@compadept.com