Waving a flag

Gordon Wilson gwilson@prairienet.org
Sat, 30 Sep 1995 10:12:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 29 Sep 1995 Kam544@aol.com wrote:

> Gordon Wilson posted:
> >>The self-righteous responses to this situation have only confirmed my
> decision, years ago to go it alone and stay out of guilds.
> I found it very interesting that everyone bearing a flame-thrower was
> wearing the initials "PTG" and, more especially "RPT".<<
>
> Dear Gordon,
>
> While I can sympathize with your feelings, I, for one, know that if it
> weren't for a group called The Piano Technicians Guild and people who are
> Registered Piano Technicians, you wouldn't even have the opportunity to
> participate in a unique piano forum such as this on any level.
>
> Normally, I do not consider myself to be one who waves a flag in anyone's
> face, nor do I believe that there are less qualified persons servicing pianos
> who are not members of a Guild.  But be assured of this, I am more of a
> person, a piano technician, a piano tuner; than I have ever been, when it
> comes to pianos and piano care, solely because of my membership in the PTG
> and my association with its members, bar none.  It has a valuable humbling
> effect on one's ego.
>
> Oddly enough, by your very participation in Pianotech...listenening,
> watching, receiving, sending, condeming, praising...you are, in effect,
> sharing a meaure of those benefits from that very group you claim you don't
> want any part of.
>
> There's no escaping the Piano Technicians Guild, its influence in the world
> of pianos, and its position as a resource for continuing education in piano
> technology.
>
> Respectfully...Keith
> Keith A. McGavern, RPT
> Oklahoma Chapter 731

Thank you very much, Keith,

I agree with everything you say, in fact, I said as much in my post,
though you may have had to read between the lines to see that I was also
apologizing for my outbursts and praising the guild.  The fact that I
have not joined is as much a factor of my personality as finding fault in
the group.

I sincerely hope that Pianotech's continued acceptance of us, the
mavericks and deviants, will continue to be mutually beneficial.  Like it
or not, I think we are all better for an exchange like this now and then,
and I don't think it hurts anyone as long as we talk it out and keep this
sort of exchanges at a minimum percentage of the total!

Thanks again,

Gordon Wilson