concert tuning

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 16:46:17 -0400

The variety of responses to this subject is incredible.  So I would like to
add to the potpourri.

Currently, at Oklahoma Baptist University in Shawnee, OK, two hours are
reserved prior to each scheduled piano performance recital and guest/faculty
recital, with a half hour between my time and showtime.  This has been
standard operating procedure for many years.

In almost every unforseen circumstance or obstacle that could arise, this
amount of time, plus knowing your instrument(s) pluses and minuses, has
always allowed me enough time and flexibility to due what is necessary for
the preparation of the piano, even with all the interruptions that can and do
occur during that scheduled time.  For two piano programs three hours are
scheduled.

In the beginning of my piano journey, I never even considered being at a
recital.  Now, I lean more towards being there, to better understand what the
performer and the piano do together in conjunction with what I have done
prior; and what the audience perceives has occurred by their feedback.  It
has been very educational.

For visiting artists: I am there without fail to see them through the
intermission if not longer.  Something about someone coming to town...the
least I can do is be there for them, especially when it directly involves the
"pinnacle example of the instrument" that my life's work revolves around.

There is a special magic, a rapport, that goes beyond words and recompense,
when the visiting artist knows that even the piano tuner/technician is there
to serve their needs.  Some of greatest tricks of the trade that I know are
because of visiting artists.  They have helped take me to new levels of
proficiency in piano service.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731