concert tuning

Joel A. Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 12:54:29 -0600

Let me jump in on this thread about concert tunings. "Stand By" and
"touch-up" are my two least favorite phrases in all of piano service. They
are finger nails on a blackboard .   And these phrases seem always to be
used   when a concert is discussed.   Sitting in the wings waiting for a
string to break or pedal to fall off is not my method of University
service.
        For 20+ years at UW-Madison I have tuned and prepared all 5 concert
pianos on Friday. This time is scheduled for the entire year.  In the
beginning my boss announced to our faculty that 'this is not carnegie hall'
and our staff have families, hobbies, etc.  For celebrity concerts, when
asked, I have come in during set-up to check the piano for unisons and
action performance.
         I  attend most of the piano concerts as a personal interest, but
have also noticed in some years I have been too involved to come back.
Some years I have attended very few concerts. I find it  a  most valuable
experience to hear the piano with an audience and from the 10th row.  Many
pianos on stage sound great, but in the concert hall their projection is
poor.  The acoustic workings of the hall can't be discounted. I find that I
voice and tune the piano to the hall. When the piano from the large hall is
moved into the small hall it'll pin your ears back.
         Additionally, the tuning and voicing is directly critiqued.  My
stomach does flips just writing about sitting listening to my work.  The
only thing worse is listening to my children perform on my tuning.  You've
been there.    I know you feel it. My  greatest reward is having my tuning
stand up to the attack. After many years and many performances I've gained
some confidence and now there are many concerts that I truely enjoy.
        After concerts where the artist has attacked the piano I give the
piano a big cheer for hanging in there.  Thats the advice I give myself
each weekly tuning  - hang in there.