Hot Hide Glue

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 09:32:47 -0500

        On the subject of hide glue, I must ask a question of proceedure to
those who are sold on it 100%. I like the stuff naturally, for many things,
but have given up using it for long soundboard shims (around 4'). I have
tried heating up the wood with hot air, and even working with two people,
when possible, but the only way I can get it done is if it is fit loose
enough that a glue line shows later. I have even tried adding salt or urea.
Lately I've been experimenting with the Garrett Wade high solids glue for
long shims. I use it now all the time for hanging hammers, and it is also a
very good glue. I have never had even one failed hammer joint with the
Garrett Wade glue over many, many jobs.

Dennis Johnson
johnsond@stolaf.edu
St. Olaf College