Concert work...

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Sun, 24 Sep 1995 10:18:37 -0400

John Minor asks..

>I'm curious how many others, especially university techs, who
>touch up unisons, if needed, at intermission. I just returned >from a
>concert by Leon Bates.......

John,

I am always present during any major concert that involves piano and always
let the artist and management know that I will touch-up unisons or whatever
during intermission,etc. Artists seem to appreciate this even when no
touch-up is necessary. I have tuned for Leon Bates on several occasions, both
at Marshall and with the W.V Symphony. BTW, isn't he a nice guy.

 The last time he was here he did a Rachmaninoff concerto  with the Slovak
Orchestra. Bates played the socks off the piano and a few unisons didn't
survive the final movement. The piece was programed just before intermission,
so there was no touch up to be done. Oh well.

Someone else has written a post making mention of some of the inane comments
made when they go out to check out the piano. I pass this on just for grins
:)

Midori and Robert McDonald appeared on our Artist Series a couple of years
ago. The first half of the program included  Beethovens Kruetzer(sp?) Sonata
for Violin and piano.
During intermission I appeared backstage and checked with McDonald as to the
condition of the piano. He said every thing was fine but to check with the
soloist. Midori also said the instrument was good but I could go check it
just the same. I did, no problems.

I went on out to the lobby whereupon one of our  supercilious "town and gown
artsy-fartsy types" asked rather loudly why Marshall couldn't afford a piano
that would stay in tune for an entire performance.
This cretin obviously didn't notice Midori retuning her Guanarious(sp) before
and after and between movements. After all, my 1968 Steinway D only cost($20K
+/-). Her fiddle a mere $750,000.
Arn't our lives interesting?
Paul Dempsey
Marshall University