Appraisal

ATodd@UH.EDU ATodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 21 Sep 1995 09:06:27 -0500 (CDT)

Steve,
   You offer some very good ideas about appraising. Thanks. However, I would
like to make a comment about the Idealized Value minus Costs method. I'm sure
you are well aware of these things but some others out there might not be.
   I have seen some strange ideas of what a completely rebuilt piano is, as I'm
sure you have. Was the pinblock replaced? Accurately? Were the keys replace?
(replaceD)? If so, are they on a NEW frame or a a reconditioned one? Were
damper wires, etc. replaced or reconditioned? The plating does wear off,
eventually. Are hammers on new shanks or just glued on to the old ones? If
so, what about the knuckles?
   My personal opinion is that everything possible should be replaced new in
order to be able to call it a COMPLETELY rebuilt piano. Otherwise, it's
only partially rebuilt. This would seem to affect the overall longevity of
the instrument.
   Am I on the right track? I have done very little appraising so I'm not
experienced at all in that field. Any comments would be appreciated.
   Thanks.

Avery Todd
University of Houston
atodd@uh.edu