discounts

RobertD429@aol.com RobertD429@aol.com
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 04:06:27 -0400

Some excellent answers have come in to the question of discounting. I agree
with the person who would ask the teacher if s/he would give daily lessons at
the same cost as weekly. The PTG tech bulletins can make it easier to explain
why it isn't possible for the tuner to "touch up" the tuning, and why other
services might be needed.

However, I can still think of at least two reasons to offer discounts;  I do
find it's important to keep them separate in my head. First, doing two or
more tunings at one location saves travel time, and I think it's fair to
share that with the client. I can charge less and still make at least the
same hourly rate.

Second, it is up to each technician to decide how advantageous it might be to
offer an ADDITIONAL discount to an influential teacher or store, based on how
much additional work might be generated, or how many referrals come in from
them. This must be thought of as advertising, and doesn't have to be too
large, LEST ONE DEVALUE ONE'S WORK.. While business realities might dictate
some discounting in certain situations, too much of it and our clients focus
on our price rather than our skill. I would rather charge full price (subject
to quantity discounts) and give an occasional surprise free tuning rather
than nibble away at every tuning fee, but each tuner's business situation is
different. I have also found that nice music-related gifts, like bench covers
or CD's of piano music or whatnot are a lot more fun, are less expensive (a
fifteen-dollar CD seems bigger than a fifteen-dollar discount), are more
thoughtful and therfore more appreciated than a discount, and stay separate
from the money issue.

By the way, I charge pretty much the same hourly rate whether I'm tuning or
voicing or driving my car (although I must confess I don't  refund ALL the
savings in driving time when doing multiple tunings -- tuning is harder work
than driving). A respected colleague of mine charges different rates for
different skills -- more for voicing than for tuning,etc., because he says
it's a more hard-won skill. What do you think?

Bob Davis, RPT