A Waste of Time

RobertD429@aol.com RobertD429@aol.com
Fri, 08 Sep 1995 17:42:05 -0400

>waste of time", which in essence negated the past eighteen years of my life
>devoted to the care of a University that has been an integral part of my
>existence since 1949.  I just felt that was a fairly hasty statement,
>especially knowing there are roughly 200 people on Pianotech who have eyes
>see.
-----------------------REPLY---------
I re-read Richard's original post, and Richard will correct me if I'm wrong,
but I don't think the expression "waste of time" implied that the faculty
didn't deserve good service. Quite the contrary, I think he meant they
 _did_.   Good service, in the absence of special circumstances like
performances or juries,  has to do with the piano spending the most possible
time in tune, which as many have responded, may mean tuning at times other
than the beginning of the semester, depending on local conditions. I have to
agree with him that a tuning which explodes in two weeks, only to spend the
rest of the semester whining, is indeed a waste of time. Richard did indicate
that he was willing to tune anytime in special circumstances.

I have a good rapport with the faculty, and find that they actually
appreciate the fact that I am taking a personal interest in trying to get the
best overall results for their piano, rather than a taking mechanistic
approach. As well as seeing them in the hall, I keep in touch with them by
newsletter, and every two or three years write a paragraph or two explaining
the humidity factor.

I agree that the producing the best result with the available resources is
absolutely first prioity, and I don't think that tuning on the piano's
schedule demonstrates the tuner is lazy. The pitch fluctuates no matter when
we tune. Unless one has the luxury of tuning four times a year,  tuning as it
passes approximately through the middle means all tunings can be at 440.
Tunings are more stable.  If the piano is a few cents off at the time chosen
for tuning, a quick pass to straighten it out before tuning doesn't take all
that long. Also, if the pitch swings are  _really_   horrible, it's an
opportunity to discuss humidity control with the dean.

Bob Davis