Tooner Tales

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Fri, 08 Sep 1995 06:12:36 -0600 (MDT)

      Friends,

      I would like to publish a book of "Tooner Tales"--true amazing
and/or funny stories from piano technicians. If you would like to
contribute to this collection, please send them to
kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca

      Please include your name and address.

      Here's a sample:

      When I first went to tune a teacher's Cecilian 42" piano, I
found its tone very loud and harsh. The string grooves were quite
prominent and hard.
      She was interested in having the tone improved, so I used the
wire brush technique. But when I finished and tried it, I wished I had
used fewer strokes. The harshness was gone but so was most of the volume.
I knew it would come back but, for a while, the piano would sound pretty
soft.
      The teacher told me that the day after I had voiced the piano, a
little girl came in for her weekly lesson. She started to play, stopped,
then tried it again and stopped. Turning to her teacher, she exclaimed,
"Mrs. Anderson, I don't think it's turned on enough!"
      I guess it's an electronic world!

      Ken Burton
      "Doctor Piano"