Fluffy hammers

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Fri, 08 Sep 1995 07:11:17 -0400

I take care of a 6' Weber  (YC) grand in a hotel lobby which gets played
16-20hrs. a week. The pianist is complaining that the sound in the top three
octaves always hardening up regardless of what I do por voicing("......that
pinging sound). Certainly everyone here can toss in suggestions about piano
placement in the room (nary room to wiggle here) and about voicing (yes, it's
been tried already). What I'm really intetersted in is a set of hammers which
starts off soft and will stay that way. Steinway, Ronsen, and Isaac are quick
picks for soft hammers. But who can tell me if that pristine softness will
stand up under medium to heavy use? (I have my doubts, just given the nature
of wool fiber and steel string.)

Bill Ballard, RPT
NH Chapter

"Sacred cows make great hambuger"