Many Topics

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Fri, 08 Sep 1995 02:24:57 -0400

Allan Gilreath posted:
>>Concerning humidity control, at Berry we have complete 5 part systems (or
more) on every instrument.  These were by installed by my predecessor, but I
can't think of a better setup to inherit.  With 100% rh in the summer and rh
in the teens in the winter months they are an absolute necessity.  However,
even with the systems, and student workers to keep the reservoirs filled, we
have still been having as much as a 50 cent swing from August to January.<<

50 cent swing with Dampp-Chaser systems...that is phenomenal!

My worst case swing without a system + or - 25 cents.  The ones with the
systems + or - 5 cents in an average year, sometimes a little more in a
strange year.  1995 is one of those strange years.

And again he posted:
>>...As to tuning scheduling, the faculty and students seem to be happier
when
they return to freshly tuned pianos.  Of course the performance and piano
faculty get their instruments tuned more often.  I feel that this is a case
where first impressions are very much in effect.  If they return to good
sounding instruments which gradually get out of tune, they think of them as
good.  But if the instruments sound bad when they return (first of all they
complain as I found out one time when I didn't have everything ready)...<<

I tend to agree with this outlook, as I have for many years, though I am
still going to look into the other concept that has been presented by several
others on Pianotech.

I mean, if it's possible to not have to pitch change the bulk tunings year
round (one pass by floating the pitch somewhat, instead of two passes to
return to A440, which equates to less time spent on each piano), then fit
these tunings into a schedule that works for everyone, satisfy the
temperament of all the people concerned, meet my standards, and earn the same
amount of money to boot; well that sounds like something worth investigating.

When all is said and done, I probably reacted mostly to the expression "a
waste of time", which in essence negated the past eighteen years of my life
devoted to the care of a University that has been an integral part of my
existence since 1949.  I just felt that was a fairly hasty statement,
especially knowing there are roughly 200 people on Pianotech who have eyes to
see.

As a result of this activity however, I have come to the conclusion that it
is an impossibility to negate who I am, much less what I demonstrate, by
anyone on this list.  Only I can do that to myself.  Ironically, as a result
of that statement, "a waste of time", look what has potentially been learned.

So the benefits are for those who are willing to rise above the individual
viewpoints presented and see the grander vision which they collectively
provide.  Hopefully, I will be one of those persons to see the grander vision
for all time to come.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter