more "many topics"

richard west rwest@unlinfo.unl.edu
Wed, 06 Sep 1995 20:04:05 -0500 (CDT)

Since I started this "many topics" I'm not sure whether I should prolong
the agony by saying anything more, but here goes anyway.

I do "bulk tuning" in Nov/Dec because in Nebraska that's the best time
to tune pianos.  I rarely have to pitch change, they will stay in tune
longer after I'm done, and the end of the semester is when students
and faculty need the best sounding pianos (that's not to say they
don't always need good sounding pianos, but I have other jobs that
need to get done).  Having done a good job at that time of the year,
the pitch variation through the rest of the year is not enough to raise
the ire of the faculty.  In some cases I have told a particular
faculty member to wait a week and the piano will sound better.  I also
explain what humidity does to the instrument.  The person waited; the
piano improved.  My image as god and prognosticator was maintained.
I still believe that tuning a lot of pianos when the weather is at
its hottest and "humidest" is still a "waste of time" as long as the
piano is "usable."  Of course, that's the debatable point.

If this sounds like a defense, I guess it is.  Sorry.   Tuning is the
part of my job I enjoy the most, so I'm not trying to get out of work--
just do it the most efficiently I know how.

In regard to string breakage, one other factor that I haven't heard
mentioned is the length of the upper strings.  I understand that if a
plate is carelessly installed, making the strings slightly longer (or
is it shorter?), the strings are closer to the breaking point and more
likely to suffer metal fatigue.  Is this also a possibility?

Richard West
University of Nebraska