many topics

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Tue, 05 Sep 1995 23:40:05 -0400

Richard West posted:
>>1.  Bulk tuning - I bulk tune in November/December and May/June.  For years
I have tried to minimize tuning at the beginning of the school year since it
seems like such a waste of time.<<

I am somewhat confused by your expression "...I have tried to minimize tuning
at the beginning of the school year since it seems like such a waste of
time".

I cannot grasp tuning pianos at the beginning of the school year as a waste
of time anymore than I can grasp tuning a piano prior to a concert or a
recital as a waste of time.

I liken this concept to the reality of fresh baked bread out of the oven.
 There is no better time to enjoy freshly baked bread than just after it has
been baked rather than a week later.

Unless you know something I don't, the best time, when scheduling permits, to
tune a piano in a school or university environment is as close as possible to
its time of use, thereby insuring longevity of in-tune-ness (freshness)
during its time of use.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter
(18 years as a University tuner/technician and still willing to learn)