humidity

Fri, 01 Sep 1995 15:19:33 -0500 (CDT)

> On Fri, 1 Sep 1995 McNeilTom@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Question:  If you tune it at the pitch "where it is found", isn't that still
> > a bunch of changes to put the piano through?

But ya gotta do what ya gotta do...I just finished tuning a console in a
classroom which had gone up (mostly in the center section) ~20 cents since
mid-June. It gets moved around a lot, so i can't use a dampp-chaser, and
as a classroom piano used w/other instruments I can't let it "float".
Two months from now the snow will be starting to fly around and I know
I'll be bringing it back up, but, HEY, they call that "job security"

Gordon Wilson wrote and I concur...
> <snip-snip> so the reference is usually still A-440.

> In my neighborhood (IMHO) as they say "tune it to itself" usually means
> "get in and out quickly and get your money".  By the time the customer
> calls me for a second opinion, the piano is often 75-100C flat!

In my younger days of missionary zeal, however, I, too _always_ tried to raise a
customer's piano to 440. After perfecting my string replacement technique,
whenever I get a new customer with their 1911 vintage Schumann or other fine
make I explain that until I'm certain that the pinblock, etc. can stand the
5% increase in tension each 100cents puts on everything - I'll "tune it to
itself".

> the technician immunity from dealing with bone-heads! ;->

That's bone-heads w/fancy headgear, to you fella... ;-}

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT     | hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu
Luther College             | (319)-387-1204