horowitz piano

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Fri, 01 Sep 1995 09:36:45 -0400

I saw and tuned the piano that Horowitz toured with in 1975 (?).  I was the
field technician doing most of Steinway's C&A work in the middle part of
Michigan at the time.  I was under orders to do nothing but tuning.  I'm
pretty sure this was during the time Franz Mohr was taking care of the piano.
 As you probably know, he often toured with Horowitz; I don't know why he
wasn't available for this gig.

This event was long enough ago, and early enough in my career, that my
impressions of it have faded a little, and may have been at least a little
sophomoric to begin with!  I did think it was exceptionally loud, had great
sustaining qualities, and was extraordinarily well in tune when I got to it.
 It seemed less than perfect in regulating, remarkably friction-free, very
evenly voiced.  I remember wishing I could have made the let-off a little
closer and more even.... but when I heard the performance (solo recital), it
was _real magic_ which seemed to be lacking nothing, let alone anything I
might have provided!

- Tom McNeil -
Vermont Piano Restorations