keyslip problem

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 11:58:58 -0400

Anyone familiar with the keyslip problem on the Hasting pianos? As far as
I can tell there is no way to remove the keyslip, short of *breaking* or
chiseling it from the keybed,wrote Bob Hastings on Sept 20th.

Bob,

I've never seen a Hastings piano but I have experienced similar problems on
another well known brand. In each case, I *did* move the keyframe back just
enough for the keys to not rub the keyslip. I too had worries about changing
action relationships, but it occured to me that perhaps the key frame had
been mis-located in the first place.(Things *do* happen in the factory that
get past quality control). In any event, no change in touch,friction,etc.,
good or bad was detectable. On this particular piano the front rail and the
balance constitute the keyframe. The Backrail is separate and glued to the
keybed.
Just remove those keys that are over the keyframe screw locations, position
the keyframe/keys as needed and  redrill for the new keyframe screw
location.(Of course, using the same holes will pull the frame back to where
it was in the first place)

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com