Tuning Pin plate bushing removal

Rob Kiddell atonal@telusplanet.net
Sun, 26 Nov 1995 16:00:05 +0000

> John,
> I use a drill bit chucked in a cordless drill that is variable speed and
> stops as soon as you release the trigger. You could try a T-handle.(?) Use
> a bit a little smaller than the _plate_ hole.  Just be careful the bit
> doesn't pull you (the bit) down to the block.  It takes me maybe 15 minutes
> for the set.  It breaks the bushing up and sometimes pulls it out.  Just as
> the bit bites into the bushing, pull up and the bushing usually comes right
> out.  Just did it last week.
> Lance Lafargue, RPT
> New Orleans Chapter
> Covington, LA.
> lafargue@iamerica.net
>
> ----------
> > From: John R Fortiner <pianoserv440@juno.com>
> > To: pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject: Tuning Pin plate bushing removal
> > Date: Wednesday, November 25, 1998 7:31 PM
> >
> > Dear List:  What is the easiest way to remove tuning pin plate bushings
> > when restringing, but not reblocking.  I haven't had a lot of luck for
> > ease with a chisel.  The ones that didn't come out with the pins are
> > really tight in the plate.  The ones that I removed today took me way
> > toooooooooooooo long ( like 1 minute each on the average ).
> >
> > John R. Fortiner
> > pianoserv440@juno.com

Greetings,

	This is exactly what I'm doing in the shop with a newer Wurlitzer
grand, removing tuning pin bushings without removing the plate or
re-blocking.

	Lance's drill technique qorks the best so far, again, make sure the
bit is smaller than the plate holes:  I'm using a 0.355" bit (9 mm)
for a 0.396" (10 mm) plate hole, and the drill "spins" the bushing
free, and comes out on the end of the drill bit without catching the
block underneath.

	Make sure the drill is variable speed, you need to be able to slow
down when the bushing starts to spin on the bit, and pull it free of
the plate.

	I've done two sections in about 10 minutes.

Regards,

Rob Kiddell,
Registered Piano Technician, PTG
atonal@planet.eon.net