Sostenuto regulation - American S&S

EHILBERT@midd.middlebury.edu EHILBERT@midd.middlebury.edu
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 12:31:41 -0500 (EST)

I have long used a method shown to me by Joe Bisceglie (retired from S&S after
some 33 years (think that's right)) of working in the factory.  Joe showed me
that to adjust the forward and back position is very easy.  Have the bracket
just loose enough that you can move the brackets.  Set the rod further away from
  the tabs then it should be.  Put the action back into the piano with the cheek
blocks properly in place.  Using a long screwdrin between the
 pinblock and action so that the blade end of the screwdriver rests against the
back edge of the sustenuto rod brackets.  Gently tap the brackets forward until

the rod is properly positioned.  If you go too far, simply pull the action out

and pull the bracket slightly back again.  Repeat until correctly located
forward and back.  Try it a couple of times and you'll soon get it right on the
first try.  Then pull action out and retighten the bracket screws.  Also adjust
for up and down and amount of rotation of rod as needed.
This method works very nicely.  Many thanks to Joe over the years!!!!

Ed Hilbert RPT
Vermont Chapter
EHILBERT@MIDDLEBURY.EDU