can damp enviornment ruin piano?

Don Rose drose@maple.net
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 20:56:08 -0800

>>  Although the piano did not
>>actually get wet the owners are claiming the new piano has been completely
>>ruined by being in the damp enviornment for a few days.

One of the sadess items I have ever seen was a Bechstein 9ft which was exposed to high moisture
levels. The bridges cracked and the pitch went up about 40 cents.  Whether the piano will
survive, only time will tell.

>My first, gut level reaction: if it didn't get actually wet, I'd be very
>suspicious of someone telling me the piano is totally ruined.

I have seen a small Korean grand where no water got on the piano, but the strings and tuning
pins rusted and the soundboard developed many pressure ridges. This piano was written off.

Sincerely, Don Rose RPT