Yamaha C-3 buzzing

randyr@cuix.pscu.com randyr@cuix.pscu.com
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 08:54:54 -0800

I have noticed (and had pointed out to me by customers) this "zinging"
or "nasal" quality on the first few notes of the first capo section on
many C-3s, so I'll assume this is what the customer is referring to.
The unpleasant quality is generated at the capo bar, and seems to be a
function of the capo itself, probably its shape or the extreme hardness
of the material.  Why only at this point in the scale, I don't know.  In
fact, after much investigation (talking to other technicians who work
with this model a lot and who know more than I do),it appears there is
no easy solution.  An RPT in our area, Roger Gable, who rents and
rebuilds many fine Yamaha grands has arrived at an approach which
involves using a die grinder to cut a groove and install a rod (brass I
believe) - I'm a little fuzzy on the details because I knew it was a
procedure far beyond my capabilities and I didn't lodge it firmly in my
memory cells.  I can get the details if anyone is interested, but it
seems like a major production to me.  Roger claims it is the only
procedure that works.  Beyond that, the only thing that can be done is
to voice the hammer and/or install a piece of heavy carpet thread in the
front duplex to reduce the objectionable upper partials - however this
will reduce somewhat the singing quality produced by this part of the
system, not to mention look a bit tacky.

At one point in the past, when I was spending a lot of time trying to
track this down because it bothered my customers so much, I contacted
Yamaha tech services.  I was told that they weren't aware of any problem
in this area, and that in fact, jazz pianists really like a piercing,
zinging tone on the Yamaha - go figure.

I also would be interested to hear if anyone has come up with a solution
that does not involve retooling the plate or other major work.

Randy Rush, RPT