New Chickering Querry

Jeff Stickney jpage@selway.umt.edu
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 07:37:45 -0700

        The question of the day - did Chickering & all of his Sons have an
unusual penchant for creativity?  I serviced an old Chickering upright
yesterday with brass rail flanges which had four broken and evidence of many
others which had been previously serviced ( the people recently moved here).
The problem is this:  The hammer springs are Schwander type - coming off the
hammer butt - and the cord that usually comes of the wooden flange is coming
through a hole in the top of the brass flange.  The broken ones had all
broken at the screw, so just put on a new one right?  Well the older ones
were taller than the rail to allow for that hole for the cord to pass
through, and the replacements aren't.  I tried a couple creative solutions
but none seemed to duplicate in an effective way.  Any ideas or source for
those flanges with a hole would be appreciated. Thanks!
Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpage@selway.umt.edu