can damp enviornment ruin piano?

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 01:40:49 -0500

>  Although the piano did not
>actually get wet the owners are claiming the new piano has been completely
>ruined by being in the damp enviornment for a few days.  Apparently they
have
>had someone in the piano business look at the piano and he said it was
>ruined. Is it possible ? If I do look at the piano what should I look for
and
>what might I expect to find ? Can there be damage to glue joints that will
be
>undetectable?  Thanks for all your help.

I have had occasion to work on several water damaged pianos, mostly in
connection with a fire, but also from leaky plumbing.

My first, gut level reaction: if it didn't get actually wet, I'd be very
suspicious of someone telling me the piano is totally ruined.

Could it be ruined? Sure, depending on your definition.

If the insurance company is paying for your time, you should feel no moral
dilema if you don't think the piano is totalled. To make it easier, you could
report back directly to the company. I have a policy when doing estimates /
appraisals: the information goes to the paying party in private, and they can
then share that information or not with the other party.

I would look at the piano from the bottom up, looking for finish / case
damage inside and out. With short term water exposure, damage would start at
the surface and then work its way in. Particle board will swell, strings can
rust quickly given the right circumstance. As others have mentioned, check
bushings, and for that matter, all of the felt you can get to efficiently.
Keyframe felts can hold moisture and rust the keypins, in which case pins and
felt should be replaced. Dampers harden, flange centers tighten, some things
just start to look ugly.

Good luck, and be thorough!

Dave Stocker
firtree@aol.com