Sostenuto regulation - American S&S Model "L"

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 09:03:45 -0500

Hi, All,
      I have had many frustrating years of trying to adjust that sostonuto
but finally developed a workable method.
      Using an appropriate tool, I use a machinists surface guage, and
measure or set to the very point of the tap at a section end and set the
elevation of the blade at that section end to that height.  If the blate is not
at appromimately 45 degrees make it so.  After each section end has been set
replace the action (Steinway) and step upon the sustain pedal then the
sustonuto and tap the damper heads to see if any fall through.  Adjust the rail
inward for those that do fall through.  Next make sure no dampers are being
raised or ticked by the blade when depressing the sustonuto alone.  Next
depress the sustonuto pedal the play notes FFF in each section.
      Finally if the sustonuto is raising the dampers too much higher than
the keys do make appropriate adjustments.
      Check everything again.
      This is time consuming, but it works.
            Newton
            nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu